Saturday, September 6, 2008

Getting Even...

Been a long time now and before I forget the password and login for this blog as well.. Here goes!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my hostel room lying down in bed, I was feeling pretty lazy and almost dozing off. It was a warm afternoon and I had no classes and no major delays in any of the umpteen projects. So it was with a total lack of interest and curiosity did I pick up that call from an unknown local number. The caller was male, identified himself and asked for me.

Well I said that it was me speaking and where are you calling from. He said he was calling from the UTI bank and that I have an account there. Yes I did and so what. He then went on to tell me that I had overdrawn by over fifty thousand bucks and when was I planning to pay up including the interest on that amount.

What!!!

I was now upright on my bed and my eyes were wide open. The chap from the bank went on to calmly tell me my room number and hostel and that people from the recovery department would come to speak to me and that I would have received a registered post in that regard. Now I must admit after hearing stories of many reputed banks sending goondas to recover money I was getting a little scared. The caller was polite but firm and was asking me what I intended to do..

Mulling over various possibilities, thinking of uncles who can help.. and generally getting shit scared I heard laughter on the other line. Relief and indignation coursed through me.. I was the victim of a prank!! And in all those remaining days in college I have tried to get even with that supposed "guy from UTI" but he was always one step ahead of me...Until...

The other day I called up a friend of mine asking for his wife's number as I needed to talk to her. He being a good friend told me that I better call her ASAP as she was leaving for Tokyo on an official trip. I needed to speak to her regarding my work and a week's delay could affect things so I punched in her number right away. She picked up on the third ring and asked who was calling.

I said that I was calling from the Japanese consulate and was I talking to Mrs. so and so. Her reply was guarded. Yes I had got the right person and what was this about. I got on into the act. Well madam sorry to convey this to you, but a small issue has come up with the Ministry of Trade and Commerce in Japan regarding your company therefore we are not allowing any executives from your company into Japan. So I am calling you up to let you know that as of now your visa is cancelled and you will be receiving an official written document to that effect shortly.

Total silence and shock. Then a feeble "what?".

I realized I might have made an overkill. Poor girl must have had dreams of visiting Japan for the first time and all that so decided to cut it short and told her that it was poor old me having some fun on her behalf. I guess she must have been pretty mad at me and maybe even happily driven a knife into me if I had been in front of her. Anyway I will know the result only after she comes back from Tokyo which is pretty soon. But nevertheless the wicked deed was finally done!

So after more than four long years of waiting I had finally got even - more or less.. Well you see; this girl who is now in Japan is the wife of my good friend - the "good" friend who called me from UTI bank on that day some four years ago...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

God!!!!

U r too much!!!!

U should not have taken revenge on his wife man! Very bad! poor gal!
I think she even not had a clue that her husband had done something like this!
U Coward!!!! Taking revenge on females!!!

Thank you :-)

Nimalan said...

@ Anonymous - Thank You!

Aren't men and women equal ;)

Nimalan

kanasu said...

but its stil not done on ur part...coz u havnt taken revange on 'him' but on his wife!! :P now...hold on!! :D

Anonymous said...

Hey you got even with his better half..so you just got half even...:)

Plan the remaining half soon!!!

Sarvesh

புருனோ Bruno said...

Ha Ha Ha...

Anonymous said...

Waiting for the continuation of this blog (Getting Even Part II)
Warning: Dont dare to give ur WIFE's contact number to this lady ...
he he he ;P

Anonymous said...

Ah! Come on!!!

We fight for equal righs only for good and not for this silly stupid pranks!!! [Note: am a female :)]

Equality b%&# $#!@ heeeeh!

Thanks :)

Nimalan said...

@ Anonymous - Thanks

Yeah right! Anyway guess I need to post a disclaimer with all and sundry (especially anonymous female readers ;)) slamming me.. That was my usual mischievous nature to pull a prank on sportive people like my friend and his wife.. It was later I remembered the incident in college and connected both together in a story format!! So no revenge motive.. no misogynist tendencies..

Anonymous said...

Your narration made me feel that you did it intentionally just to take revenge!

If you are open to such pranks always then fine!

I TAKE BACK MY WORDS!

Heeeeeeeeeh!!!

Thanks

Unknown said...

Hey Tinkoo i know ur memory is good but not like this ....u r good in this i remember u try this for me also.....

ha haha

Anonymous said...

R u waiting for my reminder to write another story in u r blog????

Ok. Here it comes - its too long, don't make your readers wait, write something fast.

Thanks :) (anonymous female reader)